The goals of Dementia Friendly Lehigh Valley are informed by:
- The goals of the National Alzheimer’s Plan
- The aims of Dementia Friendly America
- The specific needs of our community as defined by people living with dementia, their care partners, and those who support them.
DFLV operates according to a 3-year strategic plan that outlines our goals and provides direction to the work group volunteers who create the resources, outreach, and information necessary to meet the identified needs.
For 2023-26, the goals of DFLV include:
- Raising awareness about dementia and providing community members with skills need to interact with and support people living with dementia through monthly Dementia Friends training.
- Provide information about dementia, resources, and tools for those affected by dementia, and news about DFLV activities through a quarterly newsletter, our website, and social media.
- Provide local retail and service-related businesses with tools and information to ensure that they can welcome and support customers living with dementia.
- Participate in local community events and gatherings to raise awareness about dementia and the work of DFLV, while also engaging community members as volunteers and advocates in this work.
- Educate healthcare, social service, and first responder professionals in skills and strategies for serving people living with dementia.
- Support and promote education, services, and support for care partners of people living with dementia.
- Promote brain health and healthy lifestyle as a way to reduce the prevalence of dementia and enhance health and function of those living with dementia.
- Educate and engage local, state, and federal legislators on the needs of people living with dementia in our community and advocate for policies and resources to support them.