Dementia Friendly Lehigh Valley has been working toward making our community more dementia friendly since 2013. Since that time, our Coalition has been working to understand and address the unique needs of Lehigh Valley residents living with dementia and their care partners. We have engaged hundreds of people across the community in identifying the needs of those living with dementia in the Lehigh Valley and have engaged in activities and outreach to address those identified needs in a manner aligned with the DFLV mission and vision.
In the last 3 years alone, DFLV has accomplished all of the following:
- Over 200 Dementia Friends trained and certified
- 85 health care professionals trained by the Professional Education team, with special emphasis on where to access services and programs to support people living with dementia in the community.
- 15 law enforcement officers employed in Northampton County trained on signs that a person may be living with dementia, effective communication strategies, and where to refer to obtain supportive services
- Over 15 new volunteers recruited to DFLV in the last year
- Hundreds of people receive regular information and resources through our website and quarterly newsletter
- A free comprehensive toolkit of information and resources for people living with dementia in the Lehigh Valley is made available to people through our website and at local community events
- 15+ educational programs, support services, and resources for care partners are promoted by DFLV each year